Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Maybe a blog shouldn't be so personal.  Perhaps you need to divorce the person from the writing in order to get a genuine story and not just a therapy session.  I didn't give that very much thought before launching into this blog.  Of course, everyone feels their story is compelling or else stories wouldn't be told.  In truth, of course, not every story IS compelling.  I wanted to start a blog to figure out what to do with life after motherhood and how to begin a possible career writing.  Maybe instead of giving the biographical background, I should just start the story.  However, not today.  Today I still need to hammer out details.  I received two very useful yet vastly different responses to this blog.  One was a criticism particularly relevant to the construction, hence the thought that perhaps I was on too personal a tangent.  The other was a heartfelt response to the nature of what I wrote.  Both comments were helpful, even if one was one more palatable than the other!  I would like to know how to create a story which is genuine without getting mired in personal reflection.  Is that even possible for me?  Could I write a story without using ME as the topic?  When I think about the best writers and the stories I admire the most, I doubt many of them are very autobiographical.  I'm sure every writer draws upon personal experiences but how do you avoid adding to much of yourself into the story?  

No comments: