Wednesday, July 14, 2010

The continuing education

The older I get the more I realize the less I know.

Guess what?  I wasn't really smarter than my parents when I was 17.

Surprise; I didn't end up marrying my high school sweetheart.

Hhhhhmmm, a classics major really doesn't translate well in the working world.

I really do feel better if I go to bed around 9 PM.

Sure, I've had these epiphanies.  What I have also come to understand is my own insignificance and that I  am the only one who can change that.

I never really "got" physics or logics for that matter.  I still have trouble calculating square footage.  I can cook, but baking?  Forget it, that's a science.  I'm still not sure what I want to do when I grow up.

I'm still no closer to "understanding" God than I was 25 years ago.  I also still make wishes on eyelashes and shooting stars and pennies thrown into a fountain.

Here is what I do know.... putting a plate of food in front of a hungry person is a form of love, writing thank you notes is still the right thing to do, taking care of an animal instills responsibility and compassion, my mother was right more than she was wrong, saying your sorry may not completely heal the wound but it is still the best balm, love exists in a multi-hued world; there is no black or white, yes- your metabolism really does slow down, sometimes a grilled cheese tastes better than pan seared scallops and foie gras, and forgiving yourself will be your hardest task.

I hope to pick up more along the way.  Right now, I'm just grateful that I have somehow managed to glean as much as I have.

1 comment:

Keeping up with the Freitas' said...

I love your post! I love the part about grilled cheese tasting better than foie gras sometimes and definitely agree with the metabolism slow down - not fair when you want to eat grilled cheese!