Tuesday, September 14, 2010

an Ugly Monday

I felt my face flush first.  My ears.  The pinpricks of tears in my eyes.  A short quick in take of breath.

I had made an, apparently, unforgivable transgression.  I promoted my business on a Yelp! talk thread.  The first response was barbed and nasty.... "...get your money back if you paid for a degree.  ....I know shabby chic and you are nothing but shabby....".  I stared at the page and swallowed hard.   Hundreds of heartfelt good sentiments eradicated by one virtual stranger's cruel words.

I've never claimed to be a designer.  I do not have a degree.  Nor do I consider my style shabby chic (um, bleck, for the record.  hate it)  but here was this woman lambasting me, personally attacking me, accosting my website, because I had made a minor infraction in Yelp! world?????

I responded to my attackers by thanking them for their words of "encouragement"; what else could I do?  I studied Shachi B.'s (my numero uno attacker) profile and found her on Facebook (careful who you curse).  She wrote about the breakfast of champions being brownies... she looked like the ultimate winner at the breakfast table.


A friend posted today that her uncle had died.  Life is what you reap, she wrote.  Smile more, piss on people less.  I get it.

Shachi B. is a recent George Mason Alum.  She deigned to impart to me ways that I might promote my business... for the record, I do all of which she recommended.  She lives here in Arlington.  She hides behind her anonymity and writes "snap"tasteque pithy remarks that are intended to cut the legs out from under her victim.  God, if I believed in you, I would wish for Karma.....

No comments: