Wednesday, July 22, 2009

No paucity now

I think I have overcome the drought or at least, I have found a few things to say.  This next poem I wrote for the Library of Congress; they solicited for poems about fathers and daughters.  They elected not to publish this one.

At last, Goodnight

I have said goodbyes to people you never knew
soft spoken boys who thumbed though Pynchon, 
friends whose pigtails and braids fell away to layers and bobs and hues,
and teachers who shored me up, wincing at my hackneyed visceral poetry
and lovers whose names I can't even remember
I have read books that you probably read as well
and I have thrown back whiskey and vodka and beer and wine
and more whiskey
knowing you had done so when the mornings came too soon and you raged at 
your life
I have stepped on stones and dirt and stairs and persian rugs where you had tread
I have held the same hands that once touched yours
but there is nothing that we can share
our histories are parallel and exclusive of each other
except for sorrow, perhaps in that


No comments: