Friday, May 14, 2010

Furious

Teddy is the most naturally gregarious person I have ever encountered.  He considers everyone to be a friend.  He was dubbed the Mayor of Kindergarten.  He converses as easily with 8th graders as he does with children younger than he.

So I was naturally surprised when I learned that Teddy is being bullied in school.  Teddy could not be labeled as a classic victim; he is social, popular and athletically prow.  He is large for his age.  However, he is a gentle soul.  While protecting a new student from being bullied, he was slammed into a headlock and thrown to the ground.  He retaliated.  And ended up in the principal's office.  My own child did not give me these details; other eyewitnesses, both children and adults, relayed this information to me.

Today, I met with the principal to discuss the situation.  I was informed that it is my son's responsibility to (1) Say no to the Bully (2) walk away and (3) report the incident to an adult.  I find this ludicrous and a totally insufficient reaction to the situation.  My hackles are raised.

Teddy does not dislike this bully.  He is torn.  He has a certain loyalty to his "friends" and I respect that.  What I find annoying, is that this school administration has decided to place the onus on the victim.  My child is self assured and well liked.  He CAN stick up for himself.  What about the children who fall under the classic victim description?  A shy bullied child is supposed to tell a bully no?  That's exactly the reaction the bully is looking for.  With all of the media coverage about this escalating problem, the best we can offer our children in protection is Just Say No????

Everything is exacerbated for me because I know, and dislike, the family involved.  There are deep seeded issues and these are readily apparent to anyone who comes in contact with this family.  The mother refers to her children as Special Needs.  She claims the son in question is bi polar.  Being bi polar myself, I take great umbrage with the label Special Needs.  I also question the diagnosis and would like to know what measures are being taken with this child.  If indeed he should be classified Special Needs, he needs to be in a class that caters to his needs.

This is not a good day, despite a shining sun.

1 comment:

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.