Monday, May 10, 2010

Sharing the love

I wasn't sure but it looked as if Leah's soft gray eyes were brimming with tears.  Liz Valencia I knew was excited to be joining us.  I had just invited the two mothers, whose husbands were working on Mother's Day, to join us for brunch.  I know their hardworking husbands wished they could be with them, but I was glad that we could step in to be substitutes.  I was looking forward to a special day with friends and family, being feted and loved.

Yet, it certainly wasn't that way for my own mother back in the day.  It wasn't until now, as I sit to compose, that I realize how very different my own mother's special days must have been.

I can only recall with clarity one Mother's Day gift I bestowed upon Merrie Gayle.  We kids had been sent to visit Bio Dad here in Northern Virginia for the weekend.  We went to Ballston Mall and I spent $30 on a peach linen blouse with heavy lace detail.  I must've been 16.

There were no flowers for my mother.  My father did not make a special breakfast and serve it in bed.  If she was given gifts, they were handcrafted in school.  My father did not take us out to buy her any treasures.  We did not have a celebratory dinner.

I am sure my mother got up on Mother's Day, like she did every day, and made us all breakfast.  I know the children would have accompanied her to church, but only begrudgingly and while Sandy stayed at home.

I guess in our own small way, we children gave her some solace and recognition but I know from my own experience how much a loving spouse contributes to Mother's Day.

Yesterday, we shared our morning with Leah, Liz and my mother Merrie Gayle.  Tim made sausage and eggs and bacon.  Leah brought champagne for Mimosas and Liz brought bagels.  We laughed over coffee and biscotti, telling stories of children and reliving the escapades of the weekend.  I know Leah and Liz missed Tom and Nestor as my own mother missed her husband but I was happy that mine could bring some happiness to them all.

Tim did not hesitate when I suggested that we share our day with friends.  He welcomed them as I did.  He even went out and bought extra supplies as he wanted to make sure the morning was special.

And it was special.  Sharing my family with three other mothers whom I love and respect made me appreciate Mother's Day all the more.

1 comment:

Keeping up with the Freitas' said...

What a great way to spend the day. You are right that it does take a special effort on the part of our spouse to make the day special for us mothers. I'm glad you could share your day with your friends and I'm sure their spouses were grateful for your hospitality! You are a very good friend to many!