Thursday, December 17, 2009

Green is a Christmas color, right?

I have always been envious.

I sat next to Brooke Hayes in our Methodist pre-school.  She was my best friend.  And I coveted her glasses, braids and pretty dresses.

I envied my cousin in Chicago with all her fancy clothes, which I received generously handed down.  She had a father who loved her; I couldn't fathom what that must be like.

With braces and acne, I envied all my friends with clear skin and straight teeth.

So I should've recognized the ugly emotion broiling within me last night, and held my tongue, but I failed.  Wine and comradarie loosened my lips and I spewed nasty sentiments about a gracious host.  Her home was "too decorated, too pat, contrived" I spat.  Her home, in truth, was lovely and large, and reminded me of the well appointed homes in the Delta.

I woke up this morning, feeling sheepish, my tongue thick in my mouth.  Not unlike a drunk regretting her antics, I thought of friends to whom I needed to apologize.

There will always be someone more beautiful, smarter, wealthier than I.  Why do I take that as a personal insult?

No comments: