Thursday, December 31, 2009

Once in a Blue Moon

Astronomers are calling for a Blue Moon this New Year's Eve.  As we wait on the cusp of a new decade, 2009 fades away under this year's 13th full moon.  An event so rare, it is sometimes called a "once in a lifetime" experience.

 A full moon, a full circle, a close to a decade that brought me births and deaths and great happiness and utter despair.  I am ready to raise a glass, under the gaze of the moon.  I'm ready to reflect upon my joys and losses.  Teddy's first tooth.  Our first home.  Job changes and moves.  Farewells to Sandy and Sassie and Gran.

It seems as if the Moon holds my fortune.  What will be cast my way in this new decade?  I feel like a small child, gazing up at the silvery orb, wondering what magic it possesses.

I am frightened, braving the unknown without Gran's steady hand to guide me.  I'm excited, thinking of the experiences my children have before them.

So I am moving forward, stepping out of the silvery moonshine to embrace my future.  Farewell 2009, goodbye to the aughts; bring on the Blue Moons.

No comments: