Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Finding a path

The color is Forget Me Not and the trim is Ice the Cake.  The bathroom is papered with Thibaut in Julian, brown with metallic.  The sconces are mercuried glass with crystal accents.  The vanities are mirrored with marble tops.  For the shower, I chose a marble tile with silver and copper accented glass tiles.  The floors are hardwood.

I spent a lot of time designing our bathroom.   I wanted an exquisite jewel box.  Warm rich colors and cool striking accents.

I am not a designer.  Do I wish to be?

My mother has an inherent gift.  She can decorate for anyone... any palette, any taste, any budget.  I?  I only know what I like.  Decorating to me is like wine, I only know a personal preference... I cannot feign any knowledge.

Marymount has an excellent design program.  I have entertained the idea of getting a degree in design.  Then I took the GMAT.  Perhaps I am not good at testing... maybe I had an off day... my scores were lackluster and I was not admitted to the program.

What does that mean to me?  Am I disappointed?  Thwarted?  Challenged?  I am unsure.  There is no crossroads for me... I am not at a pivotal point... and yet.  I am undecided about my future and also certain that I am meant to have one out of my home.

I still love to decorate.  I still love to write.  I still love to write about decorating.

Madeline Albright didn't attend law school until she was in her fifties.  Maybe there is yet room for me to discover what I should do.

No comments: