Sunday, March 14, 2010

Why I blog

So I read today in The New York Times about a Mommy blogger who garners 36,000 hits a day.  And I've read about the bloggers who get major endorsements and make a cottage industry out of blogging.

Where do I want this blog to take me?  Do I need validation?  Do I need an expanded readership?  I'm not sure.

When I started this blog, I wrote mainly to vent demons.  My brothers are still mortified that I air so many family secrets via my blog.  I wrote about Sandy and dysfunctional relationships, suicide and love.  Sometimes I wrote about the difficulties I experience with raising children... and then I wrote about Gran.

I write because I can no longer contain what is within me.  I write because I can't turn to the lady in the frozen food section of Harris Teeter and ask her if her children drive her to drink.  I write because sometimes I cannot even see what is directly in front of me unless it is put into the written word.

Ahead of me lie a 40th birthday party, First Holy Communion, Derby, the addition to the house, the end of school, Nevis, 12 years of marriage... I cannot fathom living these experiences and not writing about them.

For instance, today.  Today I am not in dreary, drizzly Virginia.  I am hundreds of miles away, dreaming in California.  I cannot shake the grip the state took upon me last month.  I traveled to Sonoma with my mother and I have been conjuring up schemes to move there ever since.  I dream of soil and grapes, sun and wine.  I want to own a vineyard.  I want to work the land.  I can still feel the dappled sunshine upon my skin when we visited Jordan.  I see the mustard winding through the pruned vines, yellowing the fields.  I can taste the velvet smoke of Lynmar Estates pinot noir.  It was a heady experience.  The food, the wine, the lush vegetation.  I felt a draw that I struggle to describe.  But here, in this venue, I can.

No comments: