Monday, August 23, 2010

Brave New World, I guess

So I have a client.  Mind you, I don't have a business, or even much of a plan, but on September 9th I am meeting a woman who will pay me for my time as I help her rearrange her furniture and assess her decor.

I am almost paralyzed with fear.  I feel like a fraud.  I am not licensed.  I'm not a designer, I'm not even a decorator.  I am a poser.  Sure, I've helped some friends... placed some furniture, arranged some knick knacks, assisted with color choices and wallpaper.  It was fun.  Like playing dress up or house.

Now the rules have changed... money will change hands.  It is a nominal fee but regardless, I am taking currency from another for services rendered.

I armed myself with what I believed to be appropriate questions and supplied limited but detailed information about myself and my abilities.  I had a great conversation with my client... and yet... could she detect the hint of wariness in my voice?  What shall I wear?  What should I bring with me?  Magazines, paint chips, catalogues, tape measure?  I don't even know how to gauge square footage.

In high school, I believed that I would grow up to be a professor, or a writer.  I would drive a Volvo station wagon and wear chunky wool sweaters.

In college, I fretted that I would end up a saleswoman, a ghastly pharmaceutical pusher.

In my early twenties, as I bounced from ridiculous job to ridiculous job, I worried I would never find a calling.

Now, as a mother, with a calling perceivably knocking on my door, I am confused and scared.

I'm 39.  I make a great Coq au Vin and can write a proper condolence letter.  I have a pretty good taste for wine and love to travel.  I've made my own pesto and children's clothes.  I have an uncanny knack for finding incredible items at Goodwill.  None of these would translate well on a resume.

So, here it goes.  Forward.  Armed with moxy and a stack of  Southern Accents.  Let's see how far we go....

2 comments:

Red Headed Racer said...

yay! you are awesome! honestly, i'm fascinated that 99 percent of doing stuff is just thinking you can. i know a friend of a friend who markets herself a "color expert"

no training, other than painting her own house. and she charges like 500 dollars to come in for a one time consultation and pick out colors. for real. just because she thinks she CAN.

(side note: one of my employees just retired from a well paying gig at apple because he makes more than his salary by reselling stuff he finds on goodwill on amazon.com. seriously. just on amazon. and just books, cds, and dvds. seriously. he shops and posts stuff online for a living now. crazy. he's a junk hunter. so that IS a skill. one that apparently can pull down more than 80k a year. )

i'm just saying. cause if YOU think you can do it, YOU CAN do it.

i'm excited to hear about this adventure.

AND i'd totally pay you to make me coq au vin or decorate my house or make children's clothes. i wish i could do any of those things.

you go girl!

Keeping up with the Freitas' said...

You have amazing skills that you don't even realize. Just look around your house and you should be in awe - everyone else is when they visit. Take pictures of all the things around your house and of all the rooms. The various furniture, the various goodwill deals, the heirlooms. I think it is great that you are taking this first step - who knows where the path will lead but you are taking the leap!