Tuesday, August 10, 2010

The challenge of coping

In the midst of a hectic morning, the coffee maker stopped brewing.  I checked the clocks to make sure we hadn't had a power outage.  Strange.  And annoying.

Testily, I drove the children to their respective camps.  Ugh.  At Teddy's camp, we spied the child that he had had a physical alteration with in school this year.  I advised him to give the other child a wide berth and whisked Annelise off to gymnastics camp.  The mother of the the aforementioned child was dropping off her other child at gymnastics camp too.  Great.

At home I noticed spots on the carpet; damn dog.

Somehow though, chipping away at my day, I noticed that things didn't really seem that bad after all.  Sure, I was jonesing for coffee and I had agita over whether my children were in safe environments, but it all seemed manageable.

Medication, I thought appreciably.  Yes.  The great equalizers.  Wellbutrin.  Zoloft.  Abilify.  My three amigos.

Sure,  half the refrigerated vegetables have spoiled and Annelise stained her new leotard with red (red!) Kool - Aid and the cat threw up under the dining table (again), but there is money in the bank and gas in my car and the air conditioning is running and thank God for drive-thru Starbucks.

Now if only I could put my Mother's little helpers in the water system.  My God that woman at Target could sure use a big dose.

No comments: