Thursday, August 26, 2010

The Urge to Purge

Aside from purchasing quite a lot, I purge frequently.  Today a friend took the children so I took it upon myself to clean their rooms and playroom and discard old toys.

I find it exhilarating to get rid of little used items.  I gave away Teddy's remote control DinoRaptor and Annelise's easel.  I packed up games and puzzles, trucks, and tea sets.  Since the children rarely use the playroom, I'm guessing it will be weeks before either notices anything is missing.

Or I could be dead wrong.

Should I have Givers Remorse?  I didn't touch stuffed animals, books or blankies.  I do NOT count Happy Meal freebies as real toys, so they got tossed first.  Then I tried to be judicious; I boxed up toys I hadn't seen them play with for months.

Now I am flashing back to Toy Story 3.  Should I have let the children choose what to do with the toys?

Teddy's room is still inundated in his precious Bakugans and Annelise still has piles of her animals.

How much is enough?

I thought this thought for myself today as well.  My arms laden with Goodwill finds, I paused and asked myself if I NEEDED anything else.  I put everything back and left empty handed.

Certainly I have a full closet and dresser, so why do I keep trying to cram more in?

I chastise my children for hoarding, yet I realize no woman honestly needs 30 handbags.

Is it the constant search for the magical pair of jeans that will whittle my things to supermodel status?  Do I try to fill the void my father left with shoes?  Am I mothering properly?  Do I show my children enough love and spend enough time with them?

Yikes.

This is dangerous territory.

Yes.  I love my children and they know that.  Should I spend more time with them?  Probably.  Do they feel slighted and therefore need to gather as much as they can?  Most likely not.  Sometimes a greedy child is just a greedy child.

So their rooms are tidy and the playroom is a little more spacious.  I tossed in a bag of my clothes when I dropped the toys off at Goodwill.  I feel lighter, less indulgent.  The house feels cleaner and I am satisfied.

But there is no way I am parting with a single handbag.

1 comment:

Keeping up with the Freitas' said...

I have plans myself to tackle the play room this weekend. It is rewarding to purge and leaves me with a sense of things being organized. I have rarely let the kids help me as they tend to want to keep everything. Although more recently Grace has been willing to part with things that woudl be better for Abby, i.e. better for "babies". I'm glad you didn't part with the purses!