Tuesday, August 17, 2010

get over it

Chicken tagine with greek green olives, israeli couscous and key limes.  Buttered smoked paprika pork chops with a dijon potato green bean salad.  Zucchini and feta fritters with a tapenade tomato salad.

As I obsess about my weight, I cook.  I pour my creativity into healthy delectable meals and erstwhile run, pound weights, pummel myself.  I shop for fresh herbs and garden my cucumbers while counting calories.

I long for red velvet, coca cola, meatloaf made with 8 0/20, mashed potatoes, gruyere, Fritoes, beer... I try on new clothes and preen in front of the mirror.  I get up, I run, I push, I lift.  I go to sleep and I dream of running... through pastry shops, through Timbuktu, through Nevis... I dream of wearing a swimsuit I wore three years ago.

I shuffle clothing... size 27 jeans to the back... size 6 to the forward.  My mother says I need to lose 15 pounds.  I stare at the mirror, only neck long, suck in my cheeks and jut my chin.  15 pounds.  15 pounds... a 3 month old baby, a kettle bell.  When did I ever have to lose 15 pounds?

I refuse to part with my clothing.  The St. John one armed side ruffled dress.  The Max Mara grey wool slacks.  The Tracey Reese dress I wore to our 1st Derby Party.  The gorgeous shirred red tankini.  

I buy shoes.  Lustrous leather.  4 inch heels.  Velvet.  Studded.  Stacked.  Platform.

I lament.

I read the papers.  1/5 of Pakistan is under water.  A mother smothered her children before driving the family car into a South Carolina river.  Another dead toddler was found in Arizona.

Jesus.

I am complaining because I eat too well?  Too much filet mignon?  Too many glasses of Pinot Noir?  Not enough plodding on the treadmill I pay $80 a month to use?

Relative.  Its all relative.

Right.

I need to get over myself.

1 comment:

Keeping up with the Freitas' said...

I can soooo relate - except the part about having size 27 jeans in my closet - not since high school! I struggle with the need to lose that baby weight (it's been 2 years, talk about getting over yourself) and then being ok with myself. If we lived in the 50s, we would have rock star bodies... but it's 2010 and the standards are soooo different.