Thursday, September 17, 2009

Crap shoot

I am lucky beyond my wildest wishes.  Don't get me wrong... I've put in some serious time.  If misfortune builds character, I have more than a Shakespearean play.  However, when I climbed out of bed at the luxurious time of 10 AM today, I felt like a queen.  Both children in school and the day rolls out in front of me like a red carpet.

I know luck.  Good. Bad.  Luck and I have waged war.  I've won airline tickets to France and I have been suicidal twice.  I've had my heart broken, more than once, and I found the love of a lifetime.  I can take Luck on.

Yet I am powerless when Luck goes bad for those I love.  I have offered to help.  I've given what I could but sometimes that is not enough.  I have offered money, my home, my shoulder... sometimes, there is nothing you can give.  Watching someone suffer is painful.  Luck is a brutal mistress.

I was fifteen the first time I tried to take my life.  My parents were separated, I was abysmal in school and pocked by acne.  My mother was drowning in her own desperation and my brothers were young.  I overdosed on tylenol.  More of a cry for help than actual attempt?  Probably.  Yet I was thrashed by bad luck  and wanted to end the pain.

I'm thirty eight now.  Medicated, happily married with beautiful children and a lovely home.  I am lucky.  Lucky that I married someone with great health insurance to cover the outrageous cost of my medication.  Lucky someone loves me.  Lucky I lived this long to find love.

Tonight I feel especially lucky... and sad.  I have dear friend who is not so lucky.  She is brilliant and brave and she followed her dreams and they led her to a sad reality.  Friends are harder to care for than family.  They are squeamish about receiving aid, especially financial.

In addition to my brave, brilliant friend, I have a family member who needs a savior.  She calls upon her God.  I want to convince her that God choses angels... that maybe I am one for this person.  Can I work a miracle for her?

Luck.  Good. Bad.  The roulette wheel constantly spins.

No comments: