Friday, January 1, 2010

Happy New Year

The Blue Moon had risen and the residual snow from weeks past gave a luster in the falling dark.

We began where all good parties start... in the kitchen.  He served me a Parisian Side Car, chilled and shaken.  As always, Kristen was flawlessly beautiful.  Bruno was dutifully attending his dishes.  The aroma from the short ribs filled the kitchen.

Each course was more exquisite than the last.  The delicate blend of spice and seasoning was perfect.  The wines were soulfully paired.

The Gruyere and onion tart was an artful concoction wrapped in delicately puffed pastry.  The cream of asparagus soup was decadent yet light.  The salad of lobster, shrimp and avocado served over wasabi flan was exquisite.  The light lemon sorbet perfectly cleansed our palates in preparation for the richly braised short ribs, whipped potatoes and wilted spinach.  Only the Tahitian vanilla cheesecake could so beautifully complete such a meal.

The evening, punctuated by the incredible courses, leisurely tripped along.  The conversation was effortless and meaningful.  I left buoyed by good company and a full belly.

Today, I rose and prepared the croissant casserole, carefully measuring out the dry mustard and whipping cream.  The scent of ham and cheese was pervasive throughout the house and left the animals curious and irritated.

The rich aroma of coffee enveloped us as soon as we entered Nestor's house.  You could detect sausage and egg cooking.  The pleasant sound of corks popping filled the background.  Bagels piled high, cream cheese, rich coffee cakes and smoked salmon.  Champagne and Bloody Marys.  I brought along the Chess Squares that Kristen had sent me home with the night before.

The warm embraces, gentle kisses, well wishes.  The children running wild.  Time passed and the afternoon sneaked up upon us.

In the last month, I saw my share of grief.  I also benefitted from kindnesses and selfless acts.  Mine is a charmed life.  My demons are far outnumbered.  My friends are legion.

It is with a heavy heart that I embrace 2010, a year without Gran.  Her sage advice and heartfelt help will be sorely missed.  But embrace, I must.  Not to do so would be rude, unjust, callous.  How could I not embrace a future that will include the Wymans, the Valencias, the Freitas, the Stravitz, the Kaupers, the Meehans, the CashHolcombs, and the Jordans?  These people have given me more than I could ever repay.  It is the countless glasses of wine, the lovingly prepared scampi, the hugs, the cards of condolence... it is also the laughter, the tears, the inside jokes.  Gran told me once that her life was rich because she shared it with her friends.  I am so fortunate to have inherited from her.

Salud.  To life well lived.  To 2010.  To the inevitable march of time.  Enjoy.

1 comment:

Keeping up with the Freitas' said...

I love to read what you write - especially when it compliments me but especially Bruno's amazing culinary talents. Of course the night was so great for us too - an evening spent with good friends reminiscing about the past year and looking forward to the next.

Happy new year my dear friend!