Monday, January 4, 2010

Lazy Man Jambalaya

1 lb smoked sausage, cut diagonally into pieces
2 cups chopped cooked ham
2 chopped celery ribs
2 minced garlic cloves
1 chopped sweet onion
14 ounces beef stock/broth
1 can diced tomatoes
red and black peppers to taste
cups of cooked rice to your own choice of consistency

Saute ingredients sausage through onion.  When onions are translucent and sausage seems sufficiently cooked, add stock and tomatoes.  Boil for 5 minutes.  Reduce heat, add pepper , simmer uncovered for 5 more minutes.  I have made this a day ahead of time and will cook the rice tomorrow night to add to the Jambalaya.  I am not sure yet how much rice I will make.  I know I will add Tabasco before eating it!

Normally I would make some Beer Bread to go with this but Kristen and my friend Lisa Blaisdell sent me some delicious sourdough bread in a condolence package.  I only wish I had some Dixie beer to wash it all down!

1 comment:

Keeping up with the Freitas' said...

Yum! And great idea to make it ahead of time - I bet the flavors really come together by sitting a day.

I have tried a couple of times to make beer bread and it never turns out right... Jules has a good beer bread recipe.