Sunday, January 3, 2010

The Threefold Mission

I think I will start with Etoufee.  Followed by Chess Squares.  I'm not sure.  The task is daunting.  I am on a threefold mission.

I want to make a new recipe each week.  I want to learn my Gran's favorite dishes.  I want to master creole cooking and overwhelm Kristen and Bruno next New Year's Eve.

I know my triology... celery, onions and green peppers.  I know to use fresh Gulf shrimp.  I know real butter is worth its weight in gold.  These are things my Gran taught me.

I know a good wine can hide a multitude of sins; this I know firsthand.

Gravy.  Red beans and rice.  Turkey tetrazinni.  Red Velvet cake.  Caramel cake.  And a few new things along the way... I'd like to master Bananas Foster, a good Parisian Side Car, Flan, Cheese Grits and homemade buttermilk biscuits.

I can taste Remoulade, Oysters Rockefeller and Yellow Birds as I write.

I want to pour forth a little of her love in each spoonful.

While I am at it, I would love to master the art of wearing pearls with each outfit, using a handkerchief, matching my handbag to my shoes and blessing every stranger who sneezes.

I wish I could use a rosary... but I am not there yet.

Would it be enough if I always used the good silver,  pulled out placemats for each meal, and never failed to serve bread with dinner?

She liked Champagne, little girls in Swiss Dot, black patent leather and cherry blossoms.  Each meal she made, my grandfather declared the best he had ever eaten.

I think I will start with Etoufee.  Whatever else I can master, I will surely try.

2 comments:

Red Headed Racer said...

based on your recent posts about Gran, I'd say you've already mastered quite a bit. I know she's proud.

I've been thinking about you. I'm sorry for your loss. It sounds like you've got a great plan to celebrate Gran and keep her legacy going.

Keeping up with the Freitas' said...

What a wonderful way to honor your Gran! I'm happy to be a taste-tester : )